Cheryl's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jun 18, 14

bookshelves: classics, novel, russian-1880, all-about-books-group, faith-vs-doubt, redemption, free-will, morality, family-legacy, justice-is-blind, suffering, truth-telling-to-self
Recommended for: lovers of russian classic storytelling
Read from June 01 to 17, 2014, read count: 1

Elegant storytelling about archetype characters in a Russian village with the theme of faith in God as the answer to mankind's cynicism, free will, treatment of others, redemption from personal and family moral decay and hope for eternity.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

Quotes Cheryl Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I love mankind, he said, "but I find to my amazement that the more I love mankind as a whole, the less I love man in particular.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“We don't understand that life is heaven, for we have only to understand that and it will at once be fulfilled in all its beauty, we shall embrace each other and weep.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“They were like two enemies in love with one another.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“You will burn and you will burn out; you will be healed and come back again.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Life is paradise, and we are all in paradise, but we refuse to see it.”

01/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/21/2014 marked as: to-read
05/28/2014 marked as: currently-reading
06/03/2014 page 93
11.0% "Why is such a man alive! Dmitri Fyodorovich growled in a muffled voice, now nearly beside himself with fury, somehow raising his shoulders peculiarly so that he looked almost hunchbacked. No, tell me, can he be allowed to go on dishonoring the earth with himself? He looked around at everyone, pointing his finger at the old man. His speech was slow and deliberate."
06/05/2014 page 163
20.0% "Catch him! shrieked Fyodor Pavlovich the moment he sighted Dmitri again. He's stolen money in there, from my bedroom! Dmitri raised both hands and seized the old man by the two surviving wisps of hair on his temples, pulled, and smashed him against the floor. The old man let out a shrill moan. Madman, you've killed him! shouted Ivan. If I haven't killed him this time, I'll come back and kill him. You can't save him!"
06/07/2014 page 214
26.0% "You are mistaken, my good Alyosha, Ivan said. Katerina Ivanovna has never loved me! She knew all along that I loved her, though I never said a word to her about my love-she knew, but she did not love me. She took revenge on me and was revenged through me for all the insults she endured every moment all this time with Dmitri. Insults that started when they met. That is what her heart is like!"
06/08/2014 page 283
35.0% "Ivan: My task is to explain to you what sort of man I am, what I believe in, and what I hope for. And therefore I declare that I accept God pure and simple. I have a Euclidean mind, an earthly mind, and therefore it is not for us to resolve things that are not of this world. I advise you, Alyosha to never think about whether God exists or not. It is not God I do not accept but this world of God's."
06/08/2014 page 364
45.0% "Alyosha: The silence of the earth seemed to merge with the silence of the heavens, the mystery of the earth touched the mystery of the stars...suddenly, as if he had been cut down, he threw himself to the earth. He did not know why he longed to kiss it, but he was watering it with his tears, and he vowed ecstatically to love it unto ages of ages. Three days later he left the monastery to sojourn in the world."
06/10/2014 page 433
54.0% "...in Mitya's hand he suddenly noticed a pile of money, and, what was more, he had walked in holding this pile of money out in front of him. It was all in hundred-rouble bills, and he was holding them with his bloodied fingers. Dmitri Fyodorovich, as Perkhotin also testified later, "was not quite himself, not that he was drunk, but he seemed to be in some sort of ecstasy, not grieved at all but even cheerful.""
06/13/2014 page 516
64.0% "Mitya: Gentlemen, we are all cruel, we are all monsters, we all make people weep, but of all, I am the lowest vermin! Every day I've done the same vile things. I understand now that for men such as I a blow is needed, a blow of fate, to catch them as with a noose and bind them by an external force. Never, never would I have risen by myself!"
06/14/2014 page 564
70.0% "Papa, papa! I'm so sorry for you, papa! Ilyusha moaned bitterly. Ilyushechka...darling...the doctor said...you'll get well...we'll be happy...the doctor..., the captain started to say. Ah, papa! I know what the new doctor told you about me! Ilyusha exclaimed, and with all his strength, he pressed them both to himself, hiding his face on his papa's shoulder. Papa, don't cry and when I die don't ever forget me."
06/16/2014 page 656
82.0% "Ivan kept staring at him: he seemed to have lost his tongue. You know what: I'm afraid you're a dream, a ghost sitting there in front of me, Ivan murmured. There's no ghost, sir, besides the two of us, sir, and some third on, between the two of us. That third one is God, sir, Providence itself, sir, it's right here with us now, sir, only don't look for it, you won't find it, said Smerdyakov."
06/17/2014 page 758
95.0% "What can I say, gentlemen of the jury! My judgment has come, I feel the right hand of God upon me. The end of the erring man! But I tell you as if I were confessing to God: No, of my father's blood I am not guilty! For the last time: I did not kill him. I erred, but I loved the good. I longed to reform, yet I lived like a wild beast. Don't believe the doctors, I'm entirely in my right mind, only my soul is heavy."
06/17/2014 page 796
100.0% "As soon as we've learned English-good-bye America! We'll flee here, to Russia, as American citizens. Maybe they won't recognize me. Here too, we'll dig the land somewhere in the wilderness, and I'll pretend to be an American all my life. But we will die in our native land. That's my plan, said Mitya. Do you approve, Alyosha? I do, said Alyosha, not wishing to contradict him."
06/17/2014 marked as: read

Lynne King This is a lovely book Cheryl.

Cheryl Hi, Lynne and thanks for commenting. I'm anxious to spend time with The Brothers in old Russia!

message 3: by GT (new) - rated it 5 stars

GT Yippeee. Its such a great book! The ending .... oiye.

Dolors Succinct and straight to the point, Cheryl. Love seeing those five blooming stars! :)

Garima Hurrah for five stars. So glad you loved it.

Kalliope In a nutshell.

Cheryl Dolors wrote: "Succinct and straight to the point, Cheryl. Love seeing those five blooming stars! :)"

Dostoyevsky's belief system of man's need for the benefits of faith is played out through characters whose personalities fall on a continuum of extremes: saints to sinners. Through their self-examination, redemption is found and hope is ignited. Really enjoyed and was addicted to D's words. Thanks for commenting, Dolors.

Cheryl Garima wrote: "Hurrah for five stars. So glad you loved it."

Five plus stars for characterization and plot. D's belief system was muted for me underneath the complex storytelling, and then it wasn't! So, in my mind, readers are treated to so much more before the skeleton of the novel is revealed. Even those who are not convinced of D's premise have been treated to great storytelling. Thanks, Garima for your comment.

Cheryl Kalliope wrote: "In a nutshell."

To me, the mind masters something when it can say it in the fewest words. The great author of this book wrote many words, most of which were entertaining for readers over the last two centuries, but what was he really saying to his readers? That's what was important for me to understand. His beliefs are what I will remember and may further impact my life. Thanks for recognizing my intent.

message 10: by Dolors (last edited Jun 18, 2014 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dolors Cheryl wrote: "Kalliope wrote: "In a nutshell."

An acute and consice description of the characters, their inner struggles and their spyritual transformation Cheryl. Excellently put, thank you.

message 11: by Jareed (new) - added it

Jareed Cheryl wrote: "Kalliope wrote: "In a nutshell."

It always harder to say things succinctly. It shows mastery and wit!

message 12: by Ish (new) - added it

Ish Nice review! This book is high on my priority read list!

Cheryl Thanks, Jareed for your comment. We obviously see things similarly. Thanks for commenting.

Cheryl Thanks for your comment, Ish, and I hope you'll enjoy the story as much as I did.

Arnie Your choice of bookshelves for this masterpiece could serve as your review.

Cheryl Arnie wrote: "Your choice of bookshelves for this masterpiece could serve as your review."

Thanks, Arnie for noticing. That really was my intent. I wanted to suggest clues for readers, not reveal the plot and characterizations.

Renato Magalhães Rocha Simply amazing. It stands proudly on my top 10 books!

Lynne King One of my favourite books Cheryl.

Cheryl Renato and Lynne, I agree with you!