Lou's Reviews > Waylander

Waylander by David Gemmell

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: gemmell-s-books, books-i-own
Read from March 01 to 06, 2011

Until quite recently finding a book I loved was like winning the lottery. I didn't use any social networking sites, or rely on book reviews to make my selections. I simply grabbed a book off a book shelf, read the synopsis on the back cover, and, if it sounded appealing, away I went. If I actually ended up enjoying the book, I would have felt I struck gold. Thus was the case with this book. This was the first Gemmell book I read, and I'm not quite sure how it even came into my possession all those years ago. As a younger man I was entranced by Gemmell's approach to the genre. His no nonsense approach and straightforward blood and guts style was a breath of fresh air when compared to volumes of epic fantasy wherein the protagonist is often a whiny worm fearing his/her own destiny. Waylander has none of that. Just a bad ass dude kicking ass.

Recently I found my copies of Legend and Waylander laying around, and decided to reread them both. Legend first, and I enjoyed it for what it was. Waylander though, sadly, was somewhat of a disappointment to revisit. The story drags for quite a while, which is surprising for such a short book. Also I realized how much Gemmell phoned this one in. It's pretty much the same story as Legend with different names.

I'd still recommend it if you've never read one of his book and want a quick bloody fantasy fix, but I can't hold it in the reverence I once did as a younger man.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waylander.