Shane Malcolm's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Jun 15, 13

bookshelves: novels-and-novellas
Recommended for: fans of Toni Morrison, fans of contemporary fiction, fans of the written word
Read in August, 1996, read count: 2

Toni Morrison may be my favorite contemporary author. She is certainly in my Top 5. Each and every one of her novels is extraordinary. Beloved won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, and although it's not quite my personal favorite, it's probably her masterpiece as well as one of the greatest creations in the history of the written word. Morrison's prose is exquisite, which makes reading her books pure joy. If she was simply writing nonsense, the pleasure would still be all ours. However, she weaves spellbinding plots and develops unforgettable characters, so really, there is nothing to criticize. Beloved is powerful, and it's definitely the darkest of her novels (which is saying something!) A tale of slavery that makes that abomination all the more horrible by focusing on the victims rather than the act or the crime. And what one victim (Sethe) does to free her child from slavery's grip makes this one of the most affecting books you'll ever read. Deserving of every honor heaped upon it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dustin Hello, everyone!

I am very interested in Beloved (I've wanted to read it for several years now.) Having said that, I have a few questions: can it actually be considered a "horror story"? And are there ghosts involved?

Shane Malcolm Yes, there is a ghost involved. There are certainly horrific elements to the story, but I'm not sure it could be categorized as horror. That's just my two cents. Definitely one of the greatest novels of all time, no matter how you slice it.

Dustin Thank you, Shane, I appreciate it!

Elisabeth I think of it more as a haunting rather than a ghost story. Loved every word. It is an amazing book, though not easy to read. One I have on my list to reread.

Dustin Yeah, I've heard that Beloved is a complicated story...Without giving too much away, in what way(s) is it not an easy, or intricate read?

Mariel It is not an easy read only if you are white and are easily offended

Dustin I AM white, and not easily offended...

Mariel Then I would recommend reading it. From the reviews I have read here, most people that dislike the book are either offended by the references to slavery and the atrocities committed against slaves during that time or are simply grossed out (for lack of a better description) by some of the things mentioned in the book. If you are ok with that, then I think you will appreciate this book much more.

Dustin I have read Beloved, but thank you for the recommendation..