Courtney's Reviews > Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later

Sweet Valley Confidential by Francine Pascal

Apr 03, 11

bookshelves: really-hated-it, ya, womens-lit
Read from March 30 to April 03, 2011

Ok, I am going to get hate mail for this review ;)

I truly disliked this book on every level. The writing was not just bad (I can tolerate bad, I am a fan of chick lit) but atrocious. Pascal chose to use "so" and "like" so often as fillers in sentences that I nearly quit reading in the 2nd chapter (example: I, like, soooo did not like this book). Jessica has not grown up at all- in fact, she's even more juvenile and selfish at 27 than she was at 16. Elizabeth is still a push-over, and the ending of this book is proof of that (I won't put spoilers in here). In reality, there is not a single character in this book that did not truly banish all good memories of the teen version of themselves (and the new characters are entirely forgettable). I have read Harlequin romance novels that were less cheesy and better written (and that has to say something).

I know this isn't classic American literature and I shouldn't have had high expectations (I didn't, believe me), but I at least expected to be entertained as I traipsed back in time to a series that I truly loved as a teen (and I did expect this to be "light" young-adultish reading). Instead, I wish I had saved the time, energy, and money associated with reading this book and kept my Sweet Valley memories in their happy place. I beg you, don't read this book. Save yourself! It's too late for me, but it's not too late for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Valley Confidential.

04/02/2011 "51% through on kindle.... nothing to write home about, but good mindless reading ;)"