MB Taylor's Reviews > Jungle Girls

Jungle Girls by Jim Silke

Feb 16, 11

Read in February, 2011

Read Jungle Girls (2010) by Jim Silke last night. There’s not much text; it’s mostly stills & publicity shots from old movies, reproductions of pulp magazine, paperback and comic book covers and of course a lot of pinup art by Silke.

That said it’s a fun read. Silke is mostly just ruminating about the jungle girls from old movies (e.g., Maureen O’Sullivan as Jane, Fay Wray from the original King Kong). He speculates about why they were so popular in general, and why they made such an impression on him as a young man.

His interpretation of a jungle girl is a little loose, including (as mentioned above) Fay Wray in King Kong, Myrna Loy in The Mask of Fu Manchu, and the Dragon Lady from the comic strip Terry and the Pirates. In Silke’s own words, Jungle Girls is "a personal celebration of that looney, fabulous world of jungle girls and their sisters in fiction that I, after sixty-six years of wandering, still find essential."

Not for everyone and certainly not very serious, but I enjoyed both reading it and looking at the pictures. But, then I’m a fan of pinup art, and Silke is one of the best.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jungle Girls.