Danielle's Reviews > Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself

Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction
Read in February, 2011

I like Alan Alda so much. I'm in love with him from "The West Wing" where I had to keep reminding myself that I couldn't actually vote for him, more's the pity. Anyway, I also like his voice quite a bit, so I figured I'd enjoy his reading of this book on CD, regardless of the content. As it turns out, I did, and the content was only so-so.
This book is basically a collection of talks (mostly commencement addresses) Alda has given throughout the years. So, it's heavy on the "Let's pause and get some meaning out of life" sentimentality. Aside from that, there are some interesting personal stories he shares, and I would say about 65% of the time I was mostly interested in what he was saying. The other 45% of the time, I could take it or leave it. Anyway, if you like Alan Alda (or if you're liberal and hate nuclear weapons) you would probably like this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danae (new)

Danae Whilst I am a big West Wing fan, I actually remember Alan Alda more from M*A*S*H re-runs; I have heard it said that Alan Alda's performance in M*A*S*H, which ran more during Vietnam, was so winning that a lot of guys joined the army just for the chance to pal around with Alan Alda...and then found out what the army was really like. You can almost believe it, can't you? He also does some fun pieces for NOVA (or just PBS?) that we usually stop and watch if we flip across them.

Danielle Scientific American? He talked about that a bit. It was interesting. I never liked MASH. But, since I was probably 10 or 12 years old when it (the reruns, at least) was on, I think it's likely that I just didn't appreciate the humor. One of my friends has the entire series on DVD, so maybe I'll borrow it and see if I get more out of it now that I'm older.

message 3: by Danae (new)

Danae The M*A*S*H series ran longer (7 seasons, I think?) than the actual Korean War (4 years?), and I think a lot of the episodes start to get repetitive, but there are some fun moments. I think that's where I learned that Brittish people are snobs and it's okay to taunt them.

Danielle An important life lesson. Thank you, MASH.