Polina's Reviews > Charmed Thirds

Feb 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, teen-romance, expected-more
Read on March 15, 2011

I normally don’t write reviews but I just felt that I had to explain my huge disappointment with this book.

First, I have to say that I LOVED Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings. Perhaps that’s partly why I found the third installment in the series so disappointing. But there is more to it, I assure you! Indeed, when I began reading Charmed Thirds I had huge expectations but I as went through the first 50 pages I resigned myself to the fact that this wouldn’t be a 5-star book for me. But I wasn’t ready to give up yet. As the story evolved, though, I was really hooked and when Jessica and Marcus broke it off I was on the verge of tears.

I was mad at Jessica, of course, for doing what she did but I kind of understood her as well. She was young, scared and confused with her feelings so she made a mistake. I admired Marcus for not being ready to throw away their relationship just yet. But, unfortunately, it is all downhill from here. Jessica returns to school and has to face everything she’s done while she still doesn’t know where she and Marcus stand. She is even more confused by his one-word postcards that just leave here hanging. She almost sleeps with a married man!!! Then comes the message from Marcus, who meanwhile has gone to some weird “gay cowboy camp” in total isolation, that their relationship is wrong and loses it. She stops writing to Hope, doesn't contact her other friends and eventually finds a rebound guy. And she sleeps with him and then with someone else. In the end, she and Marcus are reunited but I wasn’t as happy for them as I thought I would be.

I have some major problems with this book. First, it's the expanse of time that passes throughout the whole book. After Marcus ends it with Jessica we are thrown into her last TWO years in college. How can you summarize two years of somebody’s life in what? 200 pages. We are introduced to a couple events and here Jessica goes into her last semester. It just ruins the college experience for me as finishing high school this year. And another thing, even though this is a diary we don’t get to see Jessica’s emotions so much it’s like she can write about others but not about herself. I expected her to be heartbroken after everything with Marcus but after a couple of pages she stops mentioning him at all. She doesn’t move on she just shuts herself away.

Secondly, I am a little disappointed in Marcus. Surely, he had gone through some pretty bad things in life and needed some time alone to think it all over and find who he really was. But two years? Two years without contacting Jessica, that’s too much for me.

Thirdly, I am really annoyed with Jessica. She had always dreamed of escaping Pineville to go and live here life free of morons and people who don’t understand her and when she does she doesn’t appreciate it. She waits for everything to be handed to her like some spoiled brat. She doesn’t go out of her way to try to understand others and always thinks she knows best. She doesn’t appreciate her friends and her sister, she takes them for granted. Honestly, most of the times I liked secondary characters such as Brittany, Bridget and Pepe more than I liked her.

Last, I am disappointed with the Jessica-Marcus reunion. Yes, time has passed and wounds have healed but it’s just too easy. If I were Jessica, I wouldn’t have let Marcus back into my life so easily. For a person who talks so much, Jessica doesn’t question him for his absence or silence for TWO years. It’s like good you’re back, let’s f**k. Marcus also doesn’t put too much effort in trying to apologize either. It was like we are soul mates and we belong together but we didn't make up earlier because the book would have ended.

All in all, this book was a Notso engaging installment but I am not ready to give up on the series just yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charmed Thirds.

Quotes Polina Liked

Megan McCafferty
“And now, as I'm lying alone in my own bed, I keep thinking about writhing against him last night, naked and vulnerable. Even after we'd both risen and fallen, peaked and plummeted, even after Marcus was physically shrinking from inside me, I couldn't stop clutching, crying, trying. Trying to pull him deeper, deeper, deeper within.

Trying to make him more a part of me than I am myself.”
Megan McCafferty, Charmed Thirds

03/13/2016 marked as: read

Forever Wishing You said exactly what I was thinking.

Lady Echo Ditto that