Ian's Reviews > Transition

Transition by Iain Banks

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, question-reality, fits-like-a-glove, blew-my-mind, genre-bending, unique-theories
Read in November, 2010, read count: 2.5

Is it considered an artificial padding of my GR shelves to add the audiobooks I've "read"? I loved the shit out of Transition, the actual book; you can read my review here. I loved the audiobook every bit as much. Peter Kenny is easily my favorite narrator. He does voices and accents amazingly well. (Okay, so he doesn't do an American accent very well, but kicks butt with all the European accents.) His sense of timing is wonderful, as is his situational awareness for lack of a better term ... I mean, he just feels his way through the book brilliantly.

I mostly recommend this audiobook for people who have read the hardcopy and want to read it again. The book is sufficiently complex that it may be difficult to follow on audio if that's your first time through. But it's definatley the kind of book that needs two or three reads to catch everything, so the audiobook is a perfect thing for your daily commute if you've read the book already.

I used the Audible iPhone app, which I find works quite well; it's how I listen to 90% of my audiobooks. Definately worth using an Audible credit for this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by smetchie (new)

smetchie NO! Audiobooks count!

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Audiobooks are a completely different creature than print books. The narrator can completely change the way you interpret a book. I've only listened to one audio of a book I had previously read, Good Omens. The characters, especially Adam, seemed much different than they did when I read them myself.

An audiobook always deserves a separate review.