Danielle's Reviews > How to Be Good

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read on February 16, 2011

I recognized the name of this author and so thought I'd give one of his books a go. I can see the appeal he holds for some people (his writing was lively and even minor characters were interesting) but I wasn't satisfied with the story. My perception from the cover blurbs was that this novel would provide entertaining substance, and while the dilemmas faced by the main character (her committment to her marriage, her desire to be a good person while maintaining a degree of sanity, and others) did make me think, I was disappointed by what seemed to be a complete lack of resolution for the characters. I guess it was a gnarly issue that was never meant to tie up neatly, but I was more interested in the characters achieving some happiness for themselves, and that didn't seem to happen.
Hornby was praised for his wit and humor, and while the book was amusing, and there were some pretty funny parts, it wasn't funny enough for me to want to read anything more of his. Also, there was a lot of language and some sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Good.