Miriam's Reviews > The Visitor

Feb 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction
Read from February 16 to March 03, 2011

Certainly this book had flaws all along. There are things that don't quite make sense, and a construction Tepper is fond of using at the end of chapters really annoyed me once I noticed it. However, the world-building is rich and the plot interesting, and I was enjoying the book reasonably until the last 100 pages, when she decided to ruin it by throwing every lame and lousy writing tactic available: a sprawling, poorly-written anti-religious diatribe (for those really dense readers who hadn't noticed the anti-religious message in the rest of the book, I guess), sudden introduction of new characters, technologies, and magics not previously hinted at, surprise incest, a dea ex machina, and what's that device called when a "messenger"-type suddenly shows up to give the characters important information they couldn't otherwise have?

But it was still better than the other book of hers I read. And if there were a map it might actually deserve that third star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visitor.

02/16/2011 page 40
8.0% "Many men of importance were gathered there to be seen talking with other men of importance, resulting in an abundance of conspicuous but immaterial discourse."
02/17/2011 page 84
16.0% "I would hope at this point that the protagonist would decide not tell anyone, since her "family" has done nothing but screw her over for years. Sheesh, isn't she supposed to be 20-something by now? Why does she sound/think exactly the same as when she was 8?"
03/02/2011 page 233
46.0% "Wait, this is for Ayward> Who cares about him?"
03/02/2011 page 290
57.0% "Most nonsensical "plan" ever."
03/02/2011 page 370
72.0% "Amazons! I don't think they are going to have much of a role, though. Pity."
03/03/2011 page 473
92.0% "Most anticlimactic slaying of a huge evil monster ogre ever."

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan Maps can elevate a book for me too! Love them!