Angela's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Feb 18, 11

Read from February 12 to 15, 2011

All of the reviews that focus on the incest had me thinking this was going to be some romantic story, with lots of talk about innappropriate relationships between cousins. Nope! Not even close. Just goes to show how focusing on the most scandalous elements can obscure what a book is really about.

And at its core, this is a survival story. This is about how Daisy finds the strength, through extraordianry circumstances, to stop beating herself up and rediscovering her family and her will to live.

I found some rather-superficial similarities between this and John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series - the mysterious foreign invaders and kids surviving out in the wild, but this isn't an action story in the slightest.

There was some interesting stuff going on here, but I also found that I wasn't always compelled to keep reading - I put it down and wandered away a couple of times. While I liked Daisy and thought Rosoff did an excellent job of subtly showing her evolution throughout the novel, despite the promises of forbidden romance and a country at war, this is a quiet story and it didn't do a lot to hold my attention close.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.