Josee's Reviews > The Justice Game

F 50x66
Feb 16, 2011

liked it
Read from February 16 to 22, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was another free Kindle download, and I was excited to read because I like legal thrillers. I was worried because I heard Randy Singer is a Christian Fiction author, but the religion in this book was kept at a minimum, it wasn't shoved down your throat and it was woven in nicely (so if you didn't know Singer was a Christian fiction author, you wouldn't be turning pages expecting some religious spouting). The story is based on a real-life case Singer tried ten years ago.

I enjoyed this book a lot until I got to the final part, "The Verdict". Throughout the novel, I thought several ideas were far-fetched, including the shadow jury; the fact that Jason Noble, a young, green lawyer, would get to try a major case that both lawyers would get blackmailed (and have something to be blackmailed for, but I went with it. However, learning that the plaintiff and defendant both agreed to abide by the shadow jury's verdict struck me as ridiculous. I felt that the author tried to give as much detail throughout the book on the smallest things, and then the ending was sloppy, finished too fast, and was unbelievable.

I enjoyed getting back stories on both Kelly Starling and Jason Noble, and even learning a bit about Melissa Davids. The character development was great. I also liked how Singer introduced several important characters and ideas in beginning of the book. If the ending wasn't so weak, I would have rated this book higher.

there was a hint of John Grisham's "The Jury" because there was a small attempt at jury tampering as well as a huge trial on a national hot-button issue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Justice Game.