Kimberly's Reviews > The Ice Queen

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from February 16 to 17, 2011

This book started off really interesting. The main character is struck by lightning, and finds herself living with the side effects of this, and learning about the side effects of other strike victims. I continually found myself wondering about the effects of people who have been struck by lightning and wondering how much of the book was true. But then things jumped right into the realm of the unbelievable, like a guy who would burn you if you touched his skin, or another that could spit fire. What is this, Marvel Comics? Since it wasn't presented in that special way that makes fantasy/sci-fi believable, it just came off as silly and dumb.

One of the most weird things is that this book starts you in one place with the character, takes you to another, and finishes in yet a third. Really, when I think about these different segments of the book, it's hard to draw a line between them. It hardly seems like part of the same story.

The writing style was fairly good and kinda prosey, but other than that...meh. The main character is so darn depressing throughout the whole thing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Queen.