Linda Day's Reviews > Tomorrow River

Tomorrow River by Lesley Kagen

F_50x66
Feb 16, 11

Read in February, 2011

The first 3/4ths of this book was just wonderful. I read w/o taking a break, but then the ending kind of fell apart. I was disappointed ... kind of like the sky rocket that starts out with all the colors, and then just fizzles. :(

This is a mystery with several twists. Set in a small Southern town which is dominated by the men in one family (a little Cat on a Hot Tin Roof-ish) and the ensuing disappearance of the wife of one of the sons in this family. She, Eve, is also the mother or the narrator, Shenny, and her twin, Woody. Actual names : Shenandoah WILSON Carmody, and Jane WOODROW Carmody ... can you guess the political persuasion ? At the disappeance of their Mother, Woody becomes mute, so Shenny, frustrated by the inability of anyone to find their Mother, sets upon her own investigation.

At first, I thought this storyline would be similar to Flavia in Bradley's books with a child detective as the lead. It is anything but ! Shenandoah is definatly the lead, but as she becomes so your love of her innocence grows. She is supported by cast of characters which are incredible. The plot weaves itself through them and their necessary additions to the lives of the girls in such a way that each becomes so important to the central that I felt like these cameo appearances became storylines in their own right. Don't you love it when everyone in the story is that fleshed out ?

It was a book I very much enjoyed all along thinking it would be a five star ... laughing aloud, wiping a tear, pulling my brows together in question, and so appreciating the clever writing that when the final 2-3 chapters let me down, I was sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow River.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lesley Kagen Why didn't you like the ending? I thought it was perfect!

Lynn Pribus I believe Woodrow Wislon was a native of the Shenandoah Valley around Staunton.