Michelle's Reviews > Calm My Anxious Heart

Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011, bible-study, i-own-this, christian
Recommended for: Christian women
Read from February 16 to March 28, 2011 , read count: 2

This was my second time reading this book in roughly two years, and I would read it again.

The book itself is an easy read. There are discussion questions at the end of the book for each chapter, as well as recommended scriptures for memorization. We did this book for small group, one chapter per week, and found that was about the right amount of work outside of class and enough for discussion one night per week.

I was hesitant to read this book the first time, because "Anxious" seems like such an extreme emotion. To me, anxiety is pacing, it's sleeplessness, it's a pit in the bottom of your stomach and constant distraction. I don't consider myself an "anxious" person in those terms.

But in reading this book, I came to realize that the author is using anxious as the opposite state of contentment. And in that case, it is easy to apply to most lives and most situations. After all, who doesn't wish that their lives were a bit different? Who doesn't wonder "what if?" or "why?" once in a while.

The author makes some excellent arguments for why discontentment is a sin (essentially, discontentment tells God that you don't like the way He has care for you, and doubts his ability to meet your needs) and ways that you can begin to become content within your circumstances.

I enjoyed that the author was very humble. She was willing to admit to her own moments of doubt and discontent, and never came across as preachy or "holier than thou". She has led an interesting life as a missionary and it was interesting to hear bits and pieces from her travels. Each chapter has a one-page story of someone she met while doing her work, that relates to the chapter it is associated with. It was inspiring to hear what some of those women were going through, and how they were able to be content anyway.

Sure makes me feel silly for getting upset sometimes - especially when I realize how truly blessed I am. I am free to believe what I want to believe. I don't have to hide out when I want to read the Bible, or meet with my Christian friends. I don't have to worry I will lose my job if someone discovers my faith. I don't have to wait in long lines for peanut butter, or go without toothpaste. Very blessed indeed.

I would recommend this book for Christian women in all stages of life. It was a great group discussion, although can get a bit personal sometimes. I would say 1-2 hours of work each week if you read the chapter, read the related scripture and answer all the questions and pray/meditate on it for a bit. On average, our discussions lasted about 1.5 hours per chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calm My Anxious Heart.