Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum's Reviews > Second Chance

Second Chance by Jane Green

Jun 07, 2014

did not like it
Read in August, 2008

This book was recommended to be by someone at work, and I'm not looking forward to telling her I hated it! This book was essentially about the following: a group of school friends lose touch, two of them marry the wrong man, one of the friends in the group dies prompting a get together. They all are having a mid life crisis of some kind, one of which involves adultery, one of which involves alcoholism, another involving an accidental pregnancy and another a divorce.

At the end of the book, all the main characters have a happy ending and the book is all neatly tied up. Hardly realistic, and definitely not my sort of book. I don't enjoy romance books (elements of that here), I don't enjoy books where the character commits adultery (tick), and I don't enjoy books about regular people living their lives but having a nice happy ending written for them. Boring!

Having said all of that, I've noticed that Jane Green is a 'best selling author' and what I have gained from reading this book is the knowledge that I don't like her style and won't be picking up another of her books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance.

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Bummer! I keep seeing this on the shelf of a charity store I go to every week they're only a dollar, so there's no reason I wouldn't/shouldn't pick it up. I pick up a lot! So it looks like a good choice here!

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Well, just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean you won't. For a dollar though, it might be worth a shot? Let me know what you decide.