Marcie's Reviews > Confessions of a Pagan Nun

Confessions of a Pagan Nun by Kate Horsley

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: book-clubs, europe, historical-fiction, celtic
Read from February 16 to March 11, 2011

5 stars for the insights, they're worth remembering.
3 stars for the story, which although believable and compelling, dwelt too much on the difficulties

I came to this book with a unique perspective: studying early christianity, especially its spread to Europe, for my senior thesis class (many years ago now!) and a recent quick study of irish mythology for my daughter's history fair project. This was helpful in understanding the nuances and references to both. And I have always loved to examine what happens when two cultures collide (here pagan druidism with early Christianity), then progres forward in history.
It is a gritty, what-was-life-really-like description of Ireland as Christianity spread across the island. But it is also a philosophical look at religion and what sustains us through the suffering in life. The insights, which rose like jewels from the pages, saved the book repeatedly when the realities of a hard-scrabble life began to overwhelm me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Pagan Nun.