smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks)'s Reviews > My One and Only

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: arc, review-for-smexybooks, net-galley
Read on February 16, 2011

Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/03/rev...

Favorite Quote:”Stop smiling. Every time you smile an angel dies.”

Harper James feels like her life has been turned upside down. Her boyfriend won’t get with the program and marry her, her stepmother is asking for sex advice, and her sister is marrying her ex husband’s brother. If life couldn’t get much more crazy, a mix up forces Harper to drive cross country with her ex husband, Nick. A lot of time has passed since Harper and Nick fell in and out of love; but sometimes life gives you a second chance if your willing to let go of your fears and leap.

Ms Higgins’s My One and Only is a romantic contemporary that digs deep in to your heart and doesn’t let go. A fast paced and humorous yet emotional story about two people who, through some crazy twist of fate, get a second chance to right a wrong. The characters are all delightfully flawed and realistic. The story line is written in an enjoyable conversational writing style but with an under current of realism as her characters react and engage as you or I might.

Harper James is a divorce attorney whose past (her mother abandoned her and her father rarely speaks to her) rules her life. Security and control are very important to her. Her thought is that everyone she loves will eventually leave her. When her stepsister Willa calls her to inform her that she is getting married for the third time, Harper immediately tries to talk Willa out of it. But Willa is determined that this is the one. When Harper finds out it is her ex husband’s brother she ramps up her efforts but there is no budging Willa. So Harper heads to Montana for the wedding nervous about facing the one person she never stopped loving-Nick.

Nick is a soulful gypsy eyed hottie architect. One of those men who just gets better with age. He has never stopped loving Harper and is at some what of a loss to why their marriage failed. He thinks she somewhat cheated on him but as we hear their thoughts and recollections, you realize that there was a lot of miscommunication and some taking for granted in their marriage.

As Harper and Nick reconnect again, you know instantly that the chemistry still burns hot and bright-but there is a lot Harper and Nick need to resolve and bring out into the open.

The secondary characters are just as important as the protagonists with much show time and personality. These are people who’s thoughts and actions reflect hugely on Harper and Nick’s life. I adored BeverLee with her bouffant hair and traveling can of hairspray. Even though Harper has kept her at arms length, Bev never gives up on her and loves her with the unconditional love that comes from a parent. I wanted to smack Harper’s dad for not being what she needed but I understood why he was the way he was. Dennis-duuuuude. That about says it all. Kim, Harper’s bff, is only seen a couple of times but anyone who threatens to put her kids in a dog cage gets major kudos from me.

I really enjoyed how Ms. Higgin’s doesn’t give us an easy fix to any of the relationships in here. The characters have to work hard to repair the damage to their lives and hearts. The emotional baggage that Harper carries with her needs to be addressed and Ms. Higgin’s allows that to happen in a realistic manner.

The ending is predictable and a bit high handed but very nice in how it plays out. My One In Only is a hilarious and engaging romantic contemporary that will have you howling with laughter and sobbing in your hankie as you watch Harper and Nick fight their way through the misconceptions and heartache to find their way back to each other.

Rating-B+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One and Only.

02/16/2011 ""Don't die Bob!" lol"
02/16/2011 "This stupid book is making me cry. :(WTH did she say YES????" 4 comments
02/16/2011 "Ok. This e book has froze my e reader 3 times. I only have 20 pages to go. One more time and I may implode."

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Mallery I'm really looking forward to My One and Only!