Jennifer's Reviews > Somebody Everybody Listens To

Somebody Everybody Listens To by Suzanne Supplee

Feb 16, 2011

Country fans and musicians dreaming of "making it big" will fall in love with Retta Lee and her journey to Nashville's stage in a beat-up car and a handful of cash. Retta Lee's life reads like a ballad by Loretta Lynn-hardscrabble. In spite of innumerable obstacles, Retta is indominatable (albeit naive), not unlike the opening strains of a country song. Each chapter includes biographical information about country stars and their rise to fame, which old school country fans will enjoy.

And yes for friends of mine reading the review...I am a closet country fan. Bring on the Coalminer's Daughter and Hank can you not be when you're from a one-radio station town with a self-named DJ "Lyle on the Dial". (You never fully recover from that-everytime I'm in Safeway and hear one of Lyle's tunes, I'm immediately thrown back to a time when I owned a ghetto blaster and my only cassette tape other than Thriller was Flashdance.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somebody Everybody Listens To.