Jennifer's Reviews > Jump

Jump by Elisa Carbone

Feb 16, 11

** spoiler alert ** When PK meets Critter at the climbing gym she works out in on the eve she is planning on running away from home to go on a climbing adventure, everything seems to fall into place. The handsome, mysterious Critter is miraculously willing to go with her on the adventure when no one else will...even though they've met just hours ago. Together the two set out on a cross country road trip that requires PK to trust Critter...who, she learns relatively early in the book, is an escaped mental patient who, after a suicide attempt is able to see auras. Will PK be able to trust him? Is Critter crazy? Vivid descriptions of rock climbing will appeal to readers who enjoy books about the outdoors and adventure stories.

Although I think this book will have a lot of teen appeal because of the equal part romance/adventure story, I was concerned about the author's treatment of mental illness in the book. Critter is institutionalized at the beginning of the book and on some heavy drugs for delusions. He's also recently tried to kill himself. The author trivializes his "aura" seeing as some kind of special ability he has after his near-death experience; Critter goes off his meds and is "fine" (except for the whole aura thing). My issue with this is that I think that it trivializes medicine in the treatment of mental illness for people who may need meds. Even as I write this, I'm thinking about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and thinking twice about my comment, but, in this story it really did stop me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jump.