Mendi's Reviews > Utopia

Utopia by Thomas More

Feb 16, 11

Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

Everyone has heard of Utopia and knows what it stands for, but I don't think a lot of people have actually read the book that used the term for the very first time (More 'invented' the word). I had no idea what this book was going to be like, but I did expect something a bit more.. well, like a novel. The first book is actually quite conventional, although it gives the impression of being a non-fiction work (very nicely done). Book two on the other hand is almost like an anthropological account of Utopia, which, I have to give More that, is exactly what it's supposed to be. For some readers this might come across as rather dull and, for lack of a better word (not in my wildest imagination would I ever have thought to use this in combination with 'utopia'), grey. And I must admit that if this work had been 100 pages longer (it is only about 97 pages long), I would have become bored with it myself. However, the ideas laid out in Utopia are so original (don't forget this work dates back to 1516) and remarkable and provide so much material to think over and have long discussions about, that it is in fact a very interesting novel. I would like to see more people read it, just so they know what it says. I agree with most people that it is most certainly not a blue-print for an ideal community/world - there is still a very fantastical twist to it - but it does give us a nice counter-image to (re)view our own current systems.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Utopia.