Manny's Reviews > Les Stripteaseuses Du Petit Écran

Les Stripteaseuses Du Petit Écran by Michel Brice

Jemima and foxy gentleman

After a while, the story began to seem strangely familiar - an attractive but not overly bright young woman is seduced by a hunky guy with a red moustache, who persuades her to accompany him to a romantic rendezvous in a secluded spot. Luckily, the dogged Boris Corentin is hot on his trail. But, rather than risk dropping any more spoilers, let me present Chapter 1 of my own version...

La Puddle-Duck Jémima

Naked, Jémima swam to the bank and, in one sinuous motion, emerged from the water. She stood for a moment and gazed at the reflection mirrored in the pond's smooth surface.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Stripteaseuses Du Petit Écran.

02/16/2011 page 12
5.58% "Three pages in, and he's already asked her to take off her panties. But only to improve the picture, he says, and shows her his camera. I'm willing to bet a tarte aux framboises I know what's going to happen next."
02/17/2011 page 40
18.6% "So he's raped and murdered the unfortunate girl while capturing the whole thing on film. Now what will he do with the movie?"
02/17/2011 page 67
31.0% "Score to date: striptease acts, 2; rapes, 2; murders, 1; beads of sweat forming on people's foreheads, lost count."
02/19/2011 page 120
56.0% "The plot thickens, and Boris discovers what nurses wear under their uniforms. Apparently Frenchmen spend half their lives speculating about this." 2 comments
02/20/2011 page 160
74.0% "Regarde comme c'est jolie, soupira-t-elle poétiquement, tous ces reflets de lune dans ma chatte!"
02/20/2011 page 195
91.0% "The guy in the snuff movie has a birthmark on his left thigh, hence he can't be, etc, etc. It's ridiculous even by the elevated standards of this series."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank And here I was, dying to read this book … perhaps I should read your version ...

message 2: by Manny (last edited Feb 20, 2011 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Manny Thank you. I'm afraid it's not quite finished, but I'll let you know as soon as it is.

There really were a startling number of points of contact with the Beatrix Potter. Not far from the end, the heroine decides to en remettre dans le genre oie blanche - approximately, go back to playing the little goose. And the villain's red whiskers play a central role in the story. You do wonder whether the author was having a private joke here.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris I hope other books you read in the future remind you of other books from Potter's oeuvre...this was delightful.

Manny Thank you!

Paul Bryant did a Tarantino version of Benjamin Bunny...

message 5: by C. (last edited Feb 21, 2011 01:15AM) (new)

C. Not half bad, Monsieur Rayner - though dear, dear, French is clumsy sometimes. I mean really. "Les stripteauseuses du petit écran"? The title is almost better than the review - almost.

Manny I mean really. "Les stripteauseuses du petit écran"?

I think it's a nod to Mémé. You'll recall he's anglophile sans pareille... though I'm sure he couldn't use a word like stripteauseuses without blushing, even if it does have an etymology he'd approve of.

message 7: by C. (new)

C. So subtle! My admiration for this series never ceases to augment.

message 8: by Manny (last edited Feb 21, 2011 02:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Manny Les Stripteaseuses was one of the better ones. The author seemed to have a sense of humour, though I'm afraid that she was stylistically even worse than usual. If it hadn't been for that, I'd have considered a third star.

One of the oddest things is how I almost always feel I can guess the gender of the ghost-writer within the first two or three chapters. I'd give long odds that this one was a woman.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Come on, admit it: you know because you and your wife write them!

Manny I'm afraid our contracts don't permit us to reveal that information. Oops, what a giveaway!

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Paganus de Fish Mr. Nosnehpets has written a version of this tale in which the gentleman, Dr Nigel Mountebank, is a plastic surgeon of dubious reputation.

Manny He toyed with the title "The Duck and the Huckster", before deciding to call it "Quacksalver".

Oh... I thought that one was "The Craptonomicon". I see you're more familiar with Mr. Nosnehpets's oeuvre than I am.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Paganus de Fish I'm only familiar with his oeufs de canard.
And his book on female painters, The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer.

message 14: by Cecily (new)

Cecily I love the full length review in your book. So wrong, it's right.

Manny The weird thing is that the book actually is a bit similar to Jemima Puddleduck. Probably just a coincidence, but I couldn't help wondering...