Raynak25's Reviews > The Reluctant Dom

The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton

Feb 17, 11

bookshelves: lendme-nookbooks
Read on February 16, 2011

What a well done story! The plot is simple: Kaden asks his lifelong friend, Seth, to take care of his wife after he dies. Kaden has terminal cancer. The twist is that Kaden is a dom to his wife (Leah) and so Seth has a lot of learning to do about BDSM before Kaden passes away.

It sounds too simple to be very interesting, but the story absolutely came alive for me. I think if this weren't a BDSM book, it would be a mainstream bestseller.

There was plenty of sex in the book, but it served to demonstrate the growing love relationship between Kaden, Seth and Leah. The BDSM was Kaden's way of helping Leah cope with life. She was a former cutter, and Kaden realized that she needed pain as a release for her emotions. It's hard for Seth to accept and adapt to this reality, and his struggle to accept the "lifestyle" is endearing. And he also has to struggle with it while his dearest friend in the world is dying.

I did find Leah's emotional state of being disturbing. The BDSM is a method the men use to keep her from harming herself. In Real Life, she would need therapy and a lot of it. But her fragility is an integral part of the story, so I accepted it rather than letting it bother me. Seth accepts it too, and does his best to learn from Kaden and Leah about what is involved with the lifestyle and how he can step into Kaden's role as Master/lover/husband.

A great read, and very unexpected story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Dom.