Christopher's Reviews > Batman R.I.P.

Batman R.I.P. by Grant Morrison

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: comics-graphic-novels

** spoiler alert ** At least I knew what I was getting into with this one. Grant Morrison is an IDEA writer; ideas ultimately seem to interest him the most. We're lucky when he can wed those ideas succinctly with character emotion, like in All Star Superman. With Batman's wealth of mental oddities though, Morrison is overwhelmed with his love of ideas on all sorts of mental states. Ultimately, I liked the ideas of imagining what Batman would be like under the most extreme mental duress, it fits his character. Linking it though to a bunch of obscure Silver Age stories (they had to publish a collection of the original comics with the International Batmen and the 'alien' Batman of Zurr En Arrh, just to finally make all the pieces of the story fit!) made it shaky. Morrison's Joker is self serious and no fun, and the best Joker is always, always a bit fun: it's the fun amidst all the psychopathic, murderous, just plain loopy that makes his nonsensical character so engaging. I get too, that the story is in the end about how Batman/Bruce Wayne is the pinnacle human embodiment of mental skill, so of course Morrison's new arch-nemesis' Dr. Hurt and the Black Glove could not be the uber-villains they claimed themselves to be, they existed to prove the point that Batman is THE badass. Still makes for not as compelling villains though: give me a conflicted Harvey Dent and classic Joker any day.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman R.I.P..