Christy's Reviews > Voyager

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon

Mar 04, 10

Recommended for: historical fiction and romance fans

** spoiler alert ** The third book in the Outlander series finds time traveler Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser in the twentieth century, making preparations to travel back in time to the eighteenth century to find the love of her life, Highlander James Fraser. Claire has learned from historian Roger Wakefield that Jamie did not die at Culloden, as she has thought for twenty years. Claire is anxious to return to Jamie, though reluctant to leave Brianna, her daughter. Brianna, however, senses her mother’s need to be with her biological father and encourages her to go.

Claire steps through the stones and finds Jamie living in Edinburgh, where he is known in the city as Alexander Malcolm, a printer who prints seditious material, and on the docks as Roy, a smuggler. Claire is relieved to find their love as strong and passionate as ever, but their relationship will be tested in the days ahead, as she finds out that Jamie is now married to the woman who tried to kill Claire twenty years earlier, and has two stepchildren. If that isn’t bad enough, Jamie has an illegitimate son.

During a smuggling operation, Jamie’s nephew Ian is kidnapped by pirates and Jamie and Claire begin a grueling journey to find young Ian and return him to Lallybroch. Their travels take them across the ocean to the West Indies, and on to America. Through their trials and tribulations, their love continues to grow, and this time, Claire is determined never to leave Jamie.

Once more Gabaldon provides her readers with a fast-paced, exciting adventure wrapped around one of the best romances written, with plenty of historical information provided regarding the eighteenth century, from the Scottish uprising at Culloden to smuggling operations, voodoo in the West Indies, and best of all, medical treatment of the time.

Christy Tillery French

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyager.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Swiftsea Oh gosh. I didn't like the 2nd paragraph of the spoiler.

Swiftsea If the 2nd paragraph of your review holds true, I think my favor for this book shall decrease.

Christy Swiftsea wrote: "If the 2nd paragraph of your review holds true, I think my favor for this book shall decrease."

Maybe not - it's a great book. I, too, was upset when I originally read it but Claire remained married to Frank when she went back, so maybe it evens out...

Swiftsea Haha. All's fair in love and war. Literally. :P
Fair point. If Claire was still married, why can't Jamie do the same.

Christy Yes, that's what I told myself. I really didn't like the story line because of that but then thought, well, Claire did it, why not Jamie? Kind of evened things out! What I didn't like - and which was very unfair - was that Claire held it against Jamie but he never held it against her that she went back to Frank and lived with him.

Swiftsea I agree, it sure doesn't give Jamie fair treatment. In addition, this part of the story unfortunately portrays women in an unforgiving light. Even with Jenny. My gosh. Women and grudges.