Gina (My Precious Blog)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 18, 13

bookshelves: 2011-debut-authors, series-books
Read from December 08 to 13, 2013

This book officially going to the big screen in March of 2014. I'm very late to the game, finally getting around to reading this one. I did this same thing with The Hunger Games Series. Sometimes when there is a huge amount of hype surrounding a book, I find myself reluctant to read it. Maybe its because I'm afraid I won't feel the same way? Well, lucky for me, I totally agree with the masses on this book - it was mind blowing! The story takes place in the future. The world has been divided into 5 different factions: Amity, Dauntless, Abnegation, Erudite and Candor. When a child reaches the age of 16, he/she is placed in a simulation test which will ultimately reveal the faction he/she relates to the most. Regardless of the test results it is still ultimately up to the teen to decide which faction he/she choses to spend the rest of their life living inside. When, Beatrice or Tris, for short, undergoes her simulation, something goes terribly wrong. It seems she does not have clear cut faction she aligns with. She actually shows an aptitude for more than one faction, a condition called divergent which is extremely rare and also dangerous. The story is about which faction she does chose and how she deals with keeping her secret hidden. I found this book to be a real page turner and had difficulty pulling myself away from it. The writing is engrossing and each time I returned to it I lost myself in the words within a few moments. Tris, the female lead is extremely brave. She's a small girl and doesn't appear to be very tough. However, big things come in small packages. I loved Tris and the way she utilized her mind to come up with incredible solutions for spur of the moment decisions. It impressed me how she was always able to maintain calmness so she could think clearly in the face of danger. She was very fair, but it flawed in that she didn't always pick the most selfless action. Four, her instructor, is a very private person. On the surface he appears totally put together and strong. Inside, he's somewhat tumultuous. The romance between Tris and Four was slow-burning and developed at the perfect pace. This story is action packed with healthy doses of suspense and thrill. Divergent is part one of a trilogy. It ends at a resting point, but its evident there is so much more story left to be told. I can't wait to get right into reading book two Insurgent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

12/08/2013 marked as: currently-reading
12/08/2013
50.0% "Listening to this one, I know I'm hopelessly late to the game. I'm happy to have finally made some time to get through this one. Even though its hyped to death, its totally all true. Very engaging read so far. I've been totally entranced."
12/12/2013
80.0% "This book is really getting good. Four is going to tell Tris something. I have a pretty good guess what that might be."
12/12/2013