Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Arms and the Man

Arms and the Man by George Bernard Shaw

Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: classics, fiction, historical, plays, own, 2011-read, reviewed
Read from February 15 to 18, 2011

In the opening scene of Arms and the Man, which establishes the play’s embattled Balkan setting, young Raina learns of her suitor’s heroic exploits in combat. She rhapsodizes that it is “a glorious world for women who can see its glory and men who can act its romance!” Soon, however, such romantic falsifications of love and warfare are brilliantly and at times hilariously unmasked in a comedy that reveals George Bernard Shaw at his best as an acute social observer and witty provocateur.

– From the back of the Dover Thrift Edition

_________________________________________________

I honestly had no desire to read this book. I was going to read it for school, but I most definitely wasn’t excited about it. I’d read the back about three times but could never remember what it was about and didn’t really care to. But I am so, SO glad I read this book. It was witty, adventurous, and “romantic”. Shaw’s intention was to make fun of romance, in a way, but I still thought the romance was adorable. Because I’m cheesy like that.

Favorite character: Sergius, despite his idiocy. He was hilarious, because of his idiocy. He’s a gentleman in high society and a rogue at heart. Raina comes in as a close second and so does the Swiss.

Favorite aspect: The Swiss’s affect on the story. “Chocolate cream soldier”!

One word to sum it up: Two-timing. Trust me, this is a good thing! You’d have to read it to understand what I mean.

And do I want you to read it?

Answer: YES!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arms and the Man.

02/17/2011 page 20
02/17/2011 page 20
17.0% "It's really really good so far! :) It's adventurous and humorous. Likable characters, even in the first act. Reading the 2nd act today!"