Amber's Reviews > Why We Can't Wait

Why We Can't Wait by Martin Luther King Jr.

1905934
Feb 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2011

I think that every American should read this book. MLK, Jr. was an amazing man who was in love with God and who had a heart for people. He had an amazing understanding of what Jesus Christ would do and, I believe, was a great example of what a Christian should be. As I re-read "Letters From a Birmingham Jail", I was reminded how loving and forgiving of a man he was, even to the people who despised him the most. He had a vision of a world where everyone was treated equally, no matter what the color of their skin, and nonviolence was how he was going to reach that goal. The last words of the book, "Nonviolence, the answer to the Negroes' need, may become the answer to the most desperate need of all humanity.", made me realize just how big his vision was. In the second chapter, he refers to nonviolence as "The Sword that Heals". I think this is a great allusion because their weapon was the nonviolent actions, but instead of being used to wound, it was used to heal years of segregation and the awful things that took place in the South against black people. This is a great history book and should be read in every high school!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Can't Wait.