Bruce's Reviews > Bone Mountain

Bone Mountain by Eliot Pattison

1207684
Feb 15, 11

This is the third novel in a series about Shan, a Chinese Han former Beijing Inspector sent to a forced labor camp in Tibet, a camp from which he was ultimately unofficially released. Subsequently he worked with Tibetans struggling to preserve their culture from destruction by the Chinese government. Pattison, an international lawyer and frequent visitor to China, has obvious affection for the Tibetan people and uses his novels to portray their plight to the world. This particular volume is as exciting and intricately crafted as the previous two, filled with danger and intrigue as well as the beliefs and tenacity of the people of Tibet. When I read these books, I always feel as if in a way I am reading a spiritual guidebook, a guide to wisdom, and that intrigues me. Here are some of the quotations I copied out of the book as I read it:

“Sift the sand to find the seeds of the universe. Let them reach the original ground then plant them.”

“You must stop being a seeker of fact and become a seeker of truth.”

“When I begin a long journey my mind is often plagued with doubt over where it will lead, about what comes after the one thousandth step, or the ten thousandth. So I try to make myself concerned only with the next step, then the next after that, so that eventually the ten thousandth becomes just another next step.”

“We are made of nothing but light… The essence of life is luminosity, meaning awareness.”

“(We) must learn how to stay the same by practicing change.”

“Sometimes deities are created in the seeking. And the seeking itself may create the path.”
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bone Mountain.