Anonymousity's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

4942033
Feb 15, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, reviewed

When I first cracked open Shiver, the first book in a series by Maggie Stiefvater, I was amused by its onslaught of similarities to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. But Shiver is everything Twilight isn't. Where Isabella Swan was an emotionless robot, Grace is an abyss of depth. You aren't reading an eternal sob story narrated by a woe-is-me Mormon girl. Shiver is broken up every chapter or two into two different points of view; the strong but fragile human Grace, and the steady, emotionally scarred werewolf Sam.

It offers a different viewpoint on the werewolf situation, a change from the five million vampire novels being chunked out by any zealot with a typewriter. The book is relatable to the forlorn, the broken hearted, or just any young adult who have tasted the forbidden fruit of love.

For cons, the book is slightly slow going at first, but not the viscous molasses of the Twilight saga. However, Shiver was written to be a stand along novel. I fear the coming sequel will dispel any affection readers have for this great read. Stiefvater only left a single loose end to create an entire new novel off of.

Also, whoever thinks this isn't worth their time, that it's just another stupid Twilight novel; think again. If an author can take the shattered stained glass shards of twilights plot and put it back together in a pattern twice as pretty as before, who are we to grudge her for it?

Readers will shiver from the cold -and the heat- of this great novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.