Melissa's Reviews > Murder in Italy: Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher and the Murder Trial that Shocked the World

Murder in Italy by Candace Dempsey

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in April, 2011

I was really looking forward to reading this since the story was so huge out here and this was also my first true crime read. Unfortunately I watched that embarrassing Lifetime Amanda Knox movie before reading the book. The movie portrayed Amanda as guilty as sin. Within the first 80 pages of the book you realize that she is innocent and that feeling only increases as you continue to read the book. There was absolutely no evidence which would have thrown the case out of court if it had happened here in the US. Any of the other roommates could have done it just as easily as they made Amanda out to have committed the murder.

This whole situation really made me think about being an exchange student or traveling in general. I was an exchange student twice and lived abroad for work. Looking back on it, I had know idea, and still don't, what the criminal system in those countries would have been if I were to get caught up in a crime or how I would have reacted to the whole situation. Even though Amanda made some terrible errors in her behavior and how she dealt with the situation, I have great sympathy for her. She does not deserve the media circus and personal attacks that made up the whole trial.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in Italy.

04/06/2011 page 220
63.0% "The media circus and ineptitude of the Italian police has angered me so much that I can't continue the book right now. But having said that, it is a great factual book." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Feb 15, 2011 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Murder in Italy: The Shocking Slaying of a British Student, the Accused American Girl, and an International ScandalMurder in Italy: The Shocking Slaying of a British Student, the Accused American Girl, and an International Scandal by Candace Dempsey

View all my reviewsI have been dying to figure this whole story out and read the book. Thanks to First Reads, I am a winner and get a copy for free to review!! Can't wait!