Shauna's Reviews > In the Sanctuary of Outcasts: A Memoir

Feb 15, 11

liked it
Recommended to Shauna by: Derek
Read on February 14, 2011

I don't know where to start. I read this book in one day,so obviously it was good. I enjoyed "watching" Neil learn and grow as a person during his year of incarceration. There were some very interisting characters. I was quite fond of Ella and Link. White did a good job describing what he saw and a bit of how he felt, but I feel he lacked in his descriptions. He could have made the book much more rich had he described not only what he saw and how he felt, but if had described how things smelled, tasted and felt not only emotionally but how things felt to his sense of touch. An example of this, he said he was issued a wool blanket and knew he was going to miss sleeping in his Egyptian Cotton sheets. That is a nice statment, but what did the wool feel like, how did it compare to the cotton sheets. Why was this upsetting? He visually describes the oak trees and the lights that shine in his room, but I wanted more. Anyway, a very good book, I would recommend it to anyone as it is a very easy read and I had no idea a place like this existed in the United States. I realize this was a memoir on his time in prison, but I would really like to know more about the leporasarium side of things. Maybe we could get Mr. White to write a ficitional book based on Carville with Ella as the main character?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Sanctuary of Outcasts.