Cheryl's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Feb 15, 2011

it was ok
Read in February, 2011

For starters the woman they chose to read this novel for the audio book was a terrible choice. The whole time it felt like I was having a "I'm not angry, just disappointed with you" lecture from a parent. So that may have tainted my enjoyment for this novel.

Katherine's husband has died in a plane accident. The Pilot's Wife, is the story of how she and her young daughter deal with the accident, the things that are revealed about her husband due to his death and again the ramifications of learn the truth about Jack Lyons.

It was a terrible sad story from start to finish, however, I walked away with a "what was the point" attitude. Her husband has done horrible things, but you find no resolution with this because, well, he's dead.

I also found the story hard to take, still dealing with a family death that happened not to long ago. Grief seems to be a universal emotion. "What do I do now?", "Why did this happen?" I would think break across all gender, race, or ethnic lines. I would have given the novel one star except for Anita Shreve's beautiful portrayal of this grief. She does have an effortless, flowing writing style and The Pilot's Wife is no exception.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.