Abbie's Reviews > Lady in the Mist

Lady in the Mist by Laurie Alice Eakes

May 03, 12

bookshelves: 2011, blog-reviewed, christian-historical-fiction, revell
Read from April 12 to 17, 2011

This book is set in 1809 in Virginia. Tabitha is a midwife. Her grandma and her mom where midwives to before they died. Tabitha is still unmarried though which makes it a little harder for her. She wishes for love and dreams of passing down her talent to her own daughter some day. She had been engaged at one point but he left her right before they where to be married. She meets a strange man in the mist one morning after a bad lying in.

Dominick is a bondsman working for the mayor due to his own secrets from his past. He finds himself drawn to Tabitha even though he should stay away. Will these two be able to over come a lot of hurtles to find true love?

I enjoyed this book. I liked learning about midwifery of the early 1800’s. I found it interesting it was called a lying in and how a midwife was not very high in society. Tabitha was a fun character. She loves her job and even when she is threated she pushes forward. Her old boyfriend shows up and wants to win her back but she finds even though she wants to get married she is not sure he is the right one for her anymore. Plus he seems to be hiding something about his past from her. She finds herself drawn to Dominick but he is only going to be around for 4 years and then he will leave and go back to England and she does not want o have another broken heart.

Dominick finds himself falling for her but must deal with his past and his current orders. He at first befriends Tabitha to try and get information out of her but soon realizes his feeling are running deeper then he expected. He is also feeling like he has to redeem himself due to his past and through out the book he learns that God is the only one who can redeem him for his sins. It was a neat way to work it into the story.

There is plenty of mystery to go with the romance plot and I liked how well the author equally told the mystery side of the plot with out over shadowing the romance and vise versa. I felt like I was on the end of my seat towards the end of the book and that made it a fun read. There where a few places the book felt kind of slow but over all a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady in the Mist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Boy Have i gotta catch up. I am only on 2%

Abbie Yeah its a looong book. I am liking it for the most part though.

Crystal Good, I only got to read a small amount last night since it was getting so late. I am planning to try to get a good amount read tonight.