Pam's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

F_50x66
Feb 15, 11

Read in February, 2011

When we first meet her, Maisie Dobbs is a young woman at the start of her career. Opening up shop as a P.I. , her story opens, slowly, almost pedestrian, in the calm between the wars. The phone barely rings. Her filing cabinets are as good as empty.

As she accepts her first client, however, who himself comes with a simple case of suspected adultery, Maisie’s past comes tumbling out, full throttle, into her present and future. Shadowing her client’s wayward wife, Maisie finds herself neck deep in a dark, sinister secret that the England’s countryside has held since the war faded to completion.

It took me almost a year to get around to this story and it’s one of those that I am kicking myself for leaving for so long. The beginning rolls along a little bit like Nancy Drew meets Annie but about halfway through, the story takes on a distinctly Tana French melody. It gives me a lot of hope for the next books in the series since it seems like we’ve passed the fluff and are on to the good stuff. And, as we all know, I like my mysteries nice and complex.

My only warning is, again, that it starts off slowly. If this hadn’t been so highly recommended (and rightly so) I would have tossed it after my 100 page test. It does pick up, though, so it proves that sometimes, it’s worth sticking through.

I will say that I’m really far behind on my Mad for Maisie challenge but I’m hoping to pick up the pace now that I know I’m actually going to like the series style.

Onward!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.