Bryan Beauchamp's Reviews > Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World

Reality Is Broken by Jane McGonigal

May 24, 11

Read in February, 2011

I enjoyed the first 200 pages of this book a lot, the “why games make us better”. I thought for sure I was going to be giving this book a 5 star rating. The author goes to great lengths to help us understand why we find games often more satisfying than real life, and what we need to modify about real life so it will be as engaging as gaming. She borrows a lot for the book Flow by Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly, another great book I read this year on the psychology of focus. I would love to hear her give a lecture.

But in the last half of the book, the “how games can change the world" part, she goes on to list dozens of projects she personally directed or had a part in. Many of them are very interesting, but the book takes on such an obvious tone of self promotion it becomes pretty boring to read.

The author really knows her stuff and is on to something, she is defiantly ahead of the curve and seeing the next big thing. Had the book ben a bit shorter and not so self serving I would rate it a bit higher and be more apt to recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reality Is Broken.

03/31/2011 page 39