Mindy's Reviews > You've GOT to Read This Book!: 55 People Tell the Story of the Book That Changed Their Life

You've GOT to Read This Book! by Jack Canfield

Feb 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, on-and-off-reading

I think the concept of this book is interesting and while I didn't know many of the people in the book, I knew most of the books and could relate with their stories. I liked the fact that it was written in little vignettes that made it easy to pick up and read off and on.

In the back it has just the list of contributors with THE book(s) that changed them, and I started reading it by looking at that. I picked out the books that I had read before and was interested to see why they touched others' lives. Then I read most of the others in the same way - curious why they picked a particular book (ie. one was Mein Kampf). I liked seeing others perspectives on books that I had also found poignant and had implemented into my life, some consciously and others not as much (like Steven Covey's Seven Habits), which came about as a matter of upbringing. I also found it interesting that one of the stories that I liked the most, EllyAnne Geisel, referred to one of the books I liked the least, Gone with the Wind. But I related to her life story and perhaps she is just a good writer.

As far as what I got out of the book overall: I have a couple more books on my "to-read" list, although I am quite certain I will not get out of them what these people did. I also have a few books that I want to re-read and maybe re-apply them to my current situation in life. And I learned some new things about supposedly "famous" people that I didn't know. I was entertained by most of the stories and it made me think about my own. What books have changed my life? How would I tell my story?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You've GOT to Read This Book!.