Alison's Reviews > The Rogue

The Rogue by Trudi Canavan

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from May 28 to June 03, 2011

This latest instalment to the Traitor Spy Trilogy did everything that I needed it to do. It was an engaging read, the story lines were moved on just enough to make it its own book (rather than seeming to be part of a big book) but leaving all storylines with partial conclusions exciting enough to have left me needing the third and final book right away and above all was very very addictive!

There are 4 stories being told from 4 points of views in this one. The first from Lorkin’s POV who is stuck living as one of the Traitors in the mountains of Sachaka. Whilst I know that this part of the story had to be told so that certain things could be discovered, I felt this was the least ‘entertaining’ storyline. Mainly because it was a little slow to begin with and also probably because I didn’t like the Traitors as characters so I was always trying to rush through Lorkin’s bits to get to the next person’s section of the story for a while. There were a few chapters where major developments were made and I was glad of these but I think, given the ending, Lorkin’s part will get a lot more exciting in the last book.

The second POV is Ambassador Dannyl who after letting Lorkin run off to the Traitors returns back to the Guild House in Sachaka to find that he has become a bit of a social outcast because of letting Lorkin go. He therefore throws himself into his other task in Sachaka, writing his book on a history of magic and trying to find out if the Storestone exists/did exist and whether it is a threat still? I’ve always loved reading from Dannyl’s POV, he’s such an interesting character and his part in The Rogue is no different. From his adventures to foreign lands to his love life (wink wink) I really really enjoyed reading his parts.

The third POV is of course Sonea. After catching one Rogue magician at the end of the first book, she is given the task of trying to find the other – Skellin. She still has the help of Cery and his daughter Anayi and faithful old Gol but this time she has another helper – Dorrien, Rothen’s son who has offered to help her with her quest to capture Skellin – but does he also have other agendas? Sonea’s part as always was steady and nice to read. She’s come a long way since becoming a black magician and really has chance to shine in this latest story.

And last but certainly not least was the POV of Lilia. Lilia is a novice who’s story I wont give too much away of because I found it brilliant to read and such a shock of a story that I ended up looking forward to her parts the most. Lets just say she gets in with the wrong type of person and ends up giving the Guild a whole lot of grief! But her character was beautifully written and her story was really different to everything else that was going on and so it was refreshing to read about. And although her story came to a conclusion of sorts I believe there is much more she could bring to the trilogy in the last book and am hoping that she does!

In conclusion, a triumph by Trudi Canavan… she’s done it again! Eagerly awaiting the final instalment…!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rogue.

05/29/2011 page 72