Harini's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Aug 16, 15

bookshelves: i-own, ya-lit, fantasy, vampires-werewolves-zombies, paranormal, paranormal-romance, series-dropped, never-again
Read from January 19 to February 02, 2012

Getting through this book was a tedious task for me. I really fail to see the lure this book and the author seem to have. I have so many problems with this book that I don’t even know where to start my rant from.

Firstly, I don’t have a problem with an author getting inspired by other books, TV shows or movies. When one of my friend said that Clare’s use of ‘Mundane’ was similar with that of ‘Muggle’, I dint see anything wrong with it, as you need to use a word to describe humans and Mundane sounded as good as any. But what I have problem with is that Cassandra Clare seems to be so inspired by Harry Potter that her main villain Valentine comes across as a bad rip off of Lord Voldemort.

As much as I hated it, I couldn’t help but draw parallels between these both characters and their ideologies. Valentines obsession with keeping the world pure came off as something very similar to Voldemort’s ‘pure-blood’ fancy. The one thing that’s not similar between them is the impact that they have on a reader. While Voldemort can send chills down your spine, all Valentine manages is to make your eyes roll.

‘The Circle’ reminded me of ‘Death Eaters’ and Luke’s character seemed like a mash up between Lupin and Sirius.

And that’s not the only problem I had with the book (I KNOW). None of Cassandra Clare’s characters had any personalities. I had heard so much about how awesome Jace was that I expected him to him to be out of this world but what I got was a character that annoyed me to no end. None of the characters managed to make a mark and failed to make me care for them. They had no distinct personality and all read the same with same sarcastic snarky wit.

The writing wasn’t brilliant either and I felt it was dry and dull at times. Clare certainly doesn’t seem to have a good sense of humor as most of her jokes come in the wrong time. And that’s why the humor in the book feels forced. But the major problem for me with her writing was that I could predict many things even before they happened, except for the last big revelation of course, which din't shock me but grossed me out. (view spoiler)

And lastly, many of my friends said that the world Clare painted was so fantastic that they would love to live in it. But I fail to see brilliance of the world she created. I would rather live in Harry Potter or Percy Jackson world. That’s what world building is all about.

So, is this the worst book I have read? No I wouldn’t say that. I have read the likes of ‘Eat Pray Love’ and ‘Breaking Dawn’. But I would say that this is definitely not my cup of hot chocolate.

May be it deserves a 1.5 as it did manage to intrigue me in the last 100 pages.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Preethi I agree with you on this book, series, and the author, completely.
And off late, I have been noticing way too many similarities between the new fantasy series, and the Potter series, every author wants to be a JKR, and they don't even have 10% of her style!

Shayantani Das Oh my Goodness, why why why did I waste my time on this book? Valentine is so pathetic, forget eye rolling, I felt like barfing. The major fight scene takes place and they are busy discussing. And that stupid revelation in the end.Ewwww. What the..!