Paris's Reviews > Spider's Bite

Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Feb 15, 11

bookshelves: must-read-author, must-read-series, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

My favorite thing about the Elemental Assassin series is that Gin Blanco is a straight up, kill them until they are dead assassin and she doesn’t apologize for it. She takes pride in her work and her reputation and occasionally does “pro bono” work by killing someone who is harassing the members of her community who can’t afford her exorbitant rates. Gin’s a badass of epic proportions and fits in nicely in the Urban Fantasy genre. She can take a beating and keep on ticking, she has a close group of friends, including an adopted brother, a cleaner and an air elemental that helps heal her wounds. Gin also finds herself attracted to Donovan Caine, a local detective that is exactly her opposite.

The characters, plot and series mythology are really fun and interesting. The writing is fast paced and overall pretty decent, but the author does have one habit that drove me so bonkers I almost stopped reading and that was her incessant need to call characters by their full names every couple of paragraphs. The book is narrated by Gin and told in the 1st person and although she has known some of the other characters most of her life, she still calls them by their full name constantly and not just while in conversation, but also during her narration.

Aside from the full name treatment, I recommend the series to anyone who enjoys UF and unapologetic protagonists.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Bite.

Jean Aaargh! The full name thing drove me crazy, too.

Paris I'm so glad that I'm not alone in that. And she doesn't stop doing it either, but I think after a few books you get a little used to it. Funny thing is she doesn't do it in any of her other series as far as I've noticed.

Jean Yeah, I don't remember her doing it in the Mythos Academy series. I tried to trick myself and just read the first name and then skip over the last name, but it didn't work. : )

Paris I tried to do the same thing. lol