Chicken Little's Reviews > A Drop of the Hard Stuff

A Drop of the Hard Stuff by Lawrence Block

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from March 26 to 28, 2011

I won an ARC of this book through Goodreads free giveaway program. Thank you so so much!

This is my very first book by Lawrence Block (I know, I know...) so I wasn't sure what to expect. The book well deserves the five stars I gave it.

The protagonist is Matthew Scudder, ex-cop turned private eye. He has joined the AA after alcoholism took away from him first his job, then his family. He is living alone, going to meetings, trying to stay sober after been bitten so hard by the bottle. One day, he meets an old friend from childhood, Jack, who himself has sobered up for a couple of years now. As part of the AA program, Jack is required to go around making amends for the bad things he did while under the influence. He is a changed man who has had a hard life as small time criminal; he has written a list with all of the people he hurt in the past and he goes door to door asking for forgiveness and offering reparations to such people. It sounds great.. a crook who has finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel, a changed man who is turning a new leaf... however, he ends up stirring a hornets' nest and gets himself killed in the process. His past has unfortunately caught up with him. Matthew's asked to investigate Jack's death and, while still dealing with his own personal demons in the everlasting struggle to remain sober himself, ends up in a life and death situation when retracing Jack's steps. And so the book moves along these lines, narrating Matt's private life and his search for justice for Jack. The end is so unexpected and at the same time so real, it took my breath away.

Definitely not to be missed, A Drop of the Hard Stuff explores in depth what it means to own up to one's mistakes and what it means to be a man. Matthew Scudder is one of the best characters of fiction that I have ever encountered. I am looking forward to read all of his adventures.

To Goodreads, as always, thank you: I am truly grateful. =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Drop of the Hard Stuff.

03/26/2011 page 1