Mary's Reviews > The Liberation of Alice Love

The Liberation of Alice Love by Abby McDonald

May 16, 12

bookshelves: unfinished
Read in April, 2011

I won a free copy of this book from Goodreads First Reads.

I will give this book a 2 for effort. The plot was mildly intriguing in parts, but the execution was "rocky" (I stole that word from a national review of the book because I agreed wholeheartedly with the description). Honestly, I could not bring myself to finish reading the book and ended up skimming through the last half to find out what happened. The strongest points of the novel were the exchanges between the main character and her love interest. The book did not gain any points with me when the obligatory F bombs and sexual encounters appeared. I still don't understand why authors / publishers feel that just throwing those things into a book for the sake of having them in there when they don't add anything to the story will win a larger audience or make the book more marketable. I feel that readers as a whole are more intelligent than they are often given credit for.

I think it is pretty clear that this particular book was not for me, but I can see how it could attract an audience of chick lit readers. I will say this for the book, I could definitely see someone tweaking this storyline into a screenplay and having a hit movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liberation of Alice Love.