Julie's Reviews > Home to Woefield

Home to Woefield by Susan Juby

Mar 07, 11

Read from March 02 to 06, 2011

I was the lucky recipient of this book as a Good Reads First Reads reader. After tearing through this little gem, I'm even gladder that I won. Charming, witty, and chock-full of entertaining characters, *Home to Woefield* grabbed me from the first page.

What made this book so enjoyable were the characters. Each chapter looks at the events of the story from the perspective of one of the novel's four main characters. As a result, the story unfolds unexpectedly at times, as each person contributes their own idiosyncrasies and neuroses.

It is a ragtag bunch of folks who peopled *Home to Woefield,* a wide-eyed 20-something New Yorker who inherits her uncle's rundown farm, an old-before-her-time 11-year-old with family problems and prize-winning chickens, a crusty old-timer with a gift for the banjo, and an alcoholic 20ish metalhead who hasn't left his bedroom since 11th grade.

Together with a half-shorn sheep, a long-lost brother, and a few adventures with portable toilets, the foursome creates a home they can all belong in and plenty of amusement for readers.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home to Woefield.