Lisa's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: simon-schuster

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

I had high expectations for Hex Hall. Did it deliver? Most definitely! The writing style is very enjoyable to read as we're in the head of Sophie Mercer, the main character. We're introduced to Hawkins' humour from the very start, when the novel begins with a slight mishap. We find Sophie in a bathroom…on prom night. She's trying to comfort a fellow schoolmate who is dateless and wishing for a boy named Ryan to take interest in her. Sophie's attempt at rectifying the situation goes horribly wrong, as Ryan falls insanely "in love" and goes after the girl desperately. Drive-my-van-through-walls kind of desperately.

"It's okay, baby!" he shouted after her. "I don't need eyes to see you! I see you with the eyes of my heart, Felicia! My HEART!"
Great. Not only was my spell too strong, it was also lame."

Funny, yes? This is an example of the humour that is present throughout the book, though this is the most out-there of them all. The usual humour is mostly just very witty and sarcastic, and captures a teenager's snarky thoughts perfectly. Aren't we all guilty for wanting to scratch the pretty girl's eyes out for liking the guy we fancy at least once in our lives?

So as a consequence of using her magic in public, Sophie is shipped off to Hex Hall where she must stay until she is 18 years old. There, we meet many interesting characters who have all misbehaved in some way and are there to serve their time also. Sophie gets a warm welcome to the school as she is attacked by a werewolf and saved by…a cocky warlock? One called Archer that makes fun of her less than impressive skills. That's, of course, before we run into some fierce faeries, an annoyed shapeshifter and a strange vampire! At first, the large amount of characters and history we're presented with is total madness. We're told so much in such a short amount of time and so it made me a little uneasy. Don't you just hate it when something important happens later on in the book but you're lost because it didn't sink in at the beginning? Luckily, we're pulled in after a short while and all of the characters become familiar, so there's no need to worry!

As mentioned before, Sophie finds herself enamoured with a seriously hot boy named Archer. Thing is, he has a girlfriend and something's a little off with him… Prior to Sophie's enrolment, he disappeared for a month and no one knew where he went. He doesn't ever speak about his family either. Are the bells ringing? Sophie's goal to avoid Archer doesn't last long but be perfectly fair, it's hard not to like Archer. He's charming and sweet, and you just want him to run away with Sophie so that he can get away from his witch of a girlfriend (ha!). Elodie is the queen bee, I guess. She's the leader of a witch coven whose members are all attractive and wield strong powers. They try to recruit Sophie but luckily she stays away. Reading about the conflicts and tensions between the girls is such a joy, as are the Archer/Sophie scenes. Their relationship is slow and build little by little so it is believable.

Bitchy girls and romance aside, the other main plotline in the novel revolves around the girls who are being mysteriously attacked by the same person who previously killed a girl at the school. These darker scenes are all very suspenseful and quite creepy if I do say so myself. Rachel Hawkins has created these daunting enemies who we fear - L'Occhio di Dio (The Eye of God) - even though we do not make contact with them at all. You'll be kept guessing until the very end, as Hex Hall takes many twists and turns, many of which you would have never guessed! Better make sure you remember to pick those jaws back up…

Sophie, a stereotypical teenage girl whose thoughts are very much centred on Archer, is a very loveable character. Her running commentary never gets aggravating and is actually quite endearing. The other side characters are fantastic also. You either love them for being so hilariously cool or love to hate them because they're so stubborn and snobby. I'm sure readers will all be scrambling for the next book, Demonglass, to see what will happen next with them all as we're left on a cliffhanger! I cannot wait to get more history on Sophie and her powers as what we've been told so far is great! It's not totally evil and ending mid-scene but it definitely gets you curious. Hex Hall is a light and fun read with a splash of dark, something everyone needs to give a go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity) I've been wanting to read this one. Even borrowed from my library. I will have to make the time soon. Enjoy this one!

Lisa Read some of it last night - great so far! :)