Alicia's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, anthology, kindle-lendable, favorite-authors, fantasy, own-kindle-amazon
Read from April 09 to 16, 2011

Congratulations, Laini Taylor! It's official: You are now one of my favorite authors, and all of your books in my reading list will now and forever be placed on my favorite-authors shelf. Please email me for my address, so that you can drop by my house and pick up your award, and so that I can follow you home and stalk you mercilessly. (Just kidding! Please don't call the cops on me. I'm just trying to say that I think you're pretty swell.)

This book is beautifully written. Every word appears to have been carefully chosen to breathe beauty, life, and intensity into every moment. The book contains three separate stories, and there are likely few authors who could accomplish what Ms. Taylor accomplished within these stories. As the book progresses, the stories increase in length and complexity. But none of the stories is particularly complex or action-packed. Despite this, I was engaged during every moment.

The first story, Goblin Fruit, consists almost entirely of a girl meeting a boy, going shopping with the boy, having a picnic with the boy, and then (view spoiler). During the story, I heard a voice screaming inside my head at the girl to, "Run away!" It was only at the end of the story, when I was finally released from it, that I realized little had occurred. And then, I became even more amazed by this story that kept me interested despite not much actually happening to the characters.

Spicy Little Curses Such as These was another story in which little actually occurred, and yet my inside-voice continued to scream warnings at the main characters.

While the last of the three, Hatchling, had some action it, it did not have nearly as much action as one might expect, and most of the action occurred in flashbacks. In Hatchling, a mother and her child fight for their lives, while a demon fights for his soul and the soul of his love. Most of the story was filled with flashbacks of how the mother's and the demon's lives progressed before the mother's child was born, and how their lives became intertwined. I know I'm repeating myself, but yes, it was beautiful, and I remained engaged despite the lack of present happenings.

At the end of the book, I am mildly impressed with the stories themselves and overwhelmingly impressed with the author. But since the stories would have been completely different and likely less engaging if written by a different author, it's unfair of me to separate the stories from the author. So let's just say that I am overwhelmingly impressed overall.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.

Quotes Alicia Liked

Laini Taylor
“There are other ways of showing someone you love them, such as fetching them out of Hell.”
Laini Taylor, Lips Touch: Three Times

04/10/2011
21.0% "I just finished the first of the three stories in this book. As expected given my experience with Laini Taylor, the story was beautifully-written. But not much happened in it."
04/11/2011
45.0% "Gorgeous! I just finished the second story in this book of three stories. It was a beautiful tale, told in Ms. Laini Taylor's beautiful voice."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenya Wright You're a whore!

Alicia Kenya wrote: "You're a whore!"

Yep.

Kenya Wright You dare speak to me after not recommending this book! Something is wrong with your SOUL! It is black!

Alicia Look, bi-yatch. My review's been up for almost two years. And you know I totally stalk my girl Laini. That's an implicit recommendation. Don't blame me because you didn't read the review. You should be reading every single one of my reviews. Clearly, you need the guidance in your life.