Viohlet's Reviews > A Kiss to Remember

A Kiss to Remember by Teresa Medeiros

Feb 26, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: younger-siblings-to-look-after, set-in-english-country, series, series-follows-family, hero-duke, heroine-willowy-tall-awkward-etc, heroine-6-brunette-black, heroine-2-g-l, hero-4-s-z, deception, hero-amnesia, what-the-hell-does-he-see-in-her, wallbanger, she-doesnt-deserve-him, heroine-tstl, 3rd-person-pov, betrayal, hero-dark-mysterious-and-oh-so-sexy, hero-i-loved, hero-rogue-rake-scoundrel-etc, hero-shitty-past, hero-to-die-for, heroine-i-hated, heroine-poor-destitute-etc, historical-1800s, juvenile-immature-games-or-behavior, majorly-awesome-hero, minor-characters-you-wish-were-dead, read-2-hated, read-in-2011, secondary-romance, stars-1, so-bad-you-should-avoid-it, sucky-family, children-born-adopted-etc
Recommended for: No one
Read from February 26 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I hated this. I'm glad this wasn't the first book of Teresa's that I'd read. Otherwise, I never would have picked up another, and would have missed out on the amazing beauty that is After Midnight.

I don't know what it is about a lot of authors, particularly historical ones, but their heroines tend to fall into one of two main categories; Unattractive (often plus-size), uninteresting with absolutely nothing going for them, but one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, or beautiful women who are brainless and/or bitches. The heroine definitely fell into the latter category.

The entire time, I couldn't wait for her charade to be found out, and the hero to regain his memory. Laura was a liar, and manipulative, and as Sterling's cousin pointed out once, someone who enjoys playing games to get what they want. I felt no sympathy for Laura at any point during the novel and kept hoping for a tragic end. I wondered what Sterling saw in her (romance novelists love using a pretty face to cover up some big and bad personality flaws that no real person in their right mind would put up with), and in the end, Laura was still nothing but a manipulative little girl playing childish games and pretending to be an adult. I have to say, it's lucky the average life-span was so short back then, as I certainly wouldn't like being stuck with a child who threw tantrums or resulted to emotional blackmail when things didn't go their way.

I loved Sterling, but I wish Lottie's angel had killed him, cause then at least the novel would have ended and I wouldn't have had to push myself to finish it. Plus, we'd be rid of Laura and her lies. Lieing Laura, got a ring to it doesn't it? I will admit though, that I was rather disappointed the hero was, well, basically blonde. That is one thing about romance that I love and that's that 95% of the heros have dark hair (yay!)
As it was, Sterling wasn't killed, and the novel continued, I wish he'd just let Laura walk out of his life, and found someone better.

To be quite honest, I found the secondary story with Thane and Diana to be much more interesting, right up until the point where we found out what had caused the broken engagement (Can you guess? A stupid little girl who didn't even have the maturity to confront he who had hurt her, and instead threw a tantrum and listened to the gossip. See, I knew you'd get it right)

Lottie was a brat and I just itched, and itched, and itched to slap her face. I did warm to George though, when he stopped being a brat.

As it is, this novel has absolutely nothing going for it. The majority of the characters are unlikeable, and the plot is overused, and not used well. It could have been great, but it wasn't.
1/5 rating, and I would advise anyone except the most devout to steer clear of this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss to Remember.

message 1: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) You have something against blond guys?

Viohlet lol No, I just prefer dark hair. And I got used to dark haired heros, so it just comes as a, I guess a shock, when they're anything else XD

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Haha, well, I like guys with all hair colors, but you're right 99% of the romance heroes have dark hair. I've read about ONE with red hair and about two blonds in historicals LOL!

Viohlet Hmmm, this would be the second blonde in historicals I've come across, and I don't think I've come across any with red hair XD

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) For guys with red hair you have to read a Highlander book haha. They often have red hair. ;)

Viohlet Ah, I don't read Highlander books. I dunno, I just can't get into them. Tried a few times though. XD

message 7: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Same here! Everyone on here LOVES them, but I find them sooo boring for some reason. I like Scottish guys and all (yummy) but...I started one, couldn't finish it, then read another because it was part of a series that wasn't about Highlanders...she just threw one in there and I liked that one.

Viohlet I think it's more for me, is that in the vast majority the heroes are warriors and come across as very 'me tarzan, you jane' types, and I try to avoid that when I can.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Hahaha, ah. I haven't read any like that, thankfully. I always read a bunch of reviews beforehand to make sure I know what I'm getting. I'm not really into the he-man types.

Viohlet I usually read reviews for newer authors, or ones I'm unsure about. And if the average review is less than three stars and I'm not interested, I don't go out of my way to read it XD

message 11: by Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Gosh, less than three stars on Goodreads sounds pretty ominous! ^_^