Octavio's Reviews > The Sign

The Sign by Raymond Khoury

Feb 14, 11

Read in May, 2010

While I enjoyed Khoury previous book, the Sanctuary, I cannot say the same for the Sign. The whole science-fiction story, just an effort to deride organized religion? One of the points stated in the book is how divided we are as a nation and of course one of the major causes implied is organized religion and people following 2000 year old myths and symbols such as the cross. If Mr. Khoury believes on a particular organized religion or not, if he does believe on a God or not, most Christians would see it and his personal choice and very few, if any, would try to convince him otherwise. But with this book, he goes out his way to question and mock the believes of many. Are actions like this, the ones contributing to the division of this country he addresses on this book? On page 386, “History’s shown us, time and again, that mixing religion and politics only brings destruction.” Interesting and erroneous statement, when the greatest “destructions” in the last 100 years have been by nations, under dictatorships, that renounced any kind of religious moral compass, such as Stalin, Hitler, Mao. Yes, very terrible things in the name of religion have occurred in Western history in the last 2000 years, but none, first of all, can be linked to anything Jesus said or did, and in most cases these awful events where simply about power and politics, using religion as an excuse. If religion hadn’t been present, some other excuse would have been found.. Last book by Mr. Khoury I would read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sign.