Catherine's Reviews > Treasure Me

Treasure Me by Robyn DeHart

What’s a girl to do when she walks in on her fiancé getting down and dirty with her little sister two days before their wedding? Why go on an adventure, of course! Vanessa has always been fascinated by the study of bones, but has never gotten a chance to dig. She seizes the opportunity to run away to the Loch Ness area to find evidence that the legendary “water kelpie” really did exist there. Graeme, the hero, does her a good turn when she’s in a bit of trouble and unintentionally tangles their lives together.

I absolutely adored Vanessa. She was book smart, but kind of foolish in real life situations. Some might find that frustrating, but I found it charming. She never doubted that she could handle any situation and confidently approached them. They didn’t always turn out well, but she never panicked and lost her head. She was extremely logical and didn’t believe in stuff like love. She reminded me a bit of Darius from Not Quite a Lady by Loretta Chase.

You might be nervous that the romance between Vanessa and Graeme comes too soon after her breakup. Rest assured, there is nothing to worry about on that front. Vanessa chose her fiancé specifically because he was “level-headed, analytical, intelligent, and not at all moved by the frivolities in life.” There was no passion between them. At the most I would say there was a distant, pleasant liking.

The adventure wasn’t quite as serious as I was expecting. It was still a lot of fun to read about, but I felt that the villain and the way he manipulated people was a little bit too silly for me to take seriously. Also, there was a scene involving a member very high up in society that I found a little ridiculous. That being said, I had fun watching Graeme try to handle things on his own, only to have Vanessa thwart his every attempt to leave her behind.

The dynamic between Graeme and Vanessa was my favorite part of the book. I enjoyed their back and forth dialogue and liked that there was very little conflict involved in them being together. It was a little unrealistic at first—considering the unplanned way they found themselves stuck together—but I quickly grew to appreciate it. It made it a lot easier to go along for the ride as they tried to discover the treasure.

Although I enjoyed this story, I did find a few things (other than what I’ve already mentioned) irritating. I really, really disliked the fact that Vanessa’s sister and ex-fiancé seemed to be excused from their wrongdoing because they were “in love” and things ended up turning out well for Vanessa in the end. That really pissed me off. That “in the name of love” thing is not an opinion I ascribe to, so I had a hard time swallowing it when it was presented here. Also, I found it a little perplexing that a duke was treated like Joe Blow down the road. I don’t claim to be a history expert, but it seemed a little weird.

This is the third book in The Legend Hunters series, but it’s the first one I’ve read. I didn’t have a problem jumping into the series, but I did hear something about the villain that I think seems likely to be a spoiler for a previous book in the series. I could be wrong, but I wanted to give a head’s up just in case I was right. It didn’t bother me, though. I still plan on picking up the first two books and giving them a try as well. I think they’ll be a lot of fun!

One last mention before I end the review… There was a teeny amount of magic/supernatural event thrown in that I found surprising. It’s wasn’t a large part of the story, but I just wanted to let everyone know so they could go in with their eyes wide open.

Favorite Quote:
"I was asked to look into something that another man is doing. Make certain that he's not doing anything illegal or dangerous."

"By whom?"

"Some men I work with in London."

"Your flair for detail is astounding. Truly, the entire situation makes perfect sense to me now," she said.

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Me.

02/25/2011 page 1
0.0% "Here we go! I'm hoping for some excellent adventure!"
02/25/2011 page 12
3.0% "Oh hell no! She better be dead to her from now on! I'd have to choke a bitch." 2 comments
02/25/2011 page 79
21.0% "

"By whom?"

"Some men I work with in London."

" 4 comments
02/25/2011 page 126
33.0% "

"Do you want me to stitch this up for you?" she asked.

"Have you done that before?"

"No; in fact I'm terrible with a needle and thread, but it didn't seem the time to discuss one of my weaknesses," she said.

- LOL" 8 comments
02/26/2011 page 214
56.0% "I've got a few issues with the book, but for the most part I'm enjoying it. I think the heroine is making the book for me. :)"
02/26/2011 page 261
68.0% "Argh! A side character has rocks for brains and he's driving me nuts. Stop screwing up the situation even more! Every time you talk to that person it gets even worse! Get a clue!"
02/26/2011 page 289
75.0% "I am unhappy that Violet seems to be excused because things ended up turning out alright for Vanessa. It is not okay. There should be no forgiveness, especially not this easily!"
02/26/2011 page 315
82.0% "

I'm done, but this is an ARC so the page numbers are way off. I think 384 is the correct number though because it says it on the back.

I enjoyed the book! It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was pretty cute and fun.

"

message 1: by Sophia (FV) (new)

Sophia (FV) I'm kinda nervous. lol

Catherine About reading this in general or because of my last status update?

message 3: by Sophia (FV) (new)

Sophia (FV) Hope you don't have to choke a bitch...although it might be fun to watch. LOL I really hope you like this one.

Catherine LOL! I hope I do too. I tend to enjoy the adventure/treasure hunter style a la Indiana Jones, so I have high hopes. :)

message 5: by Sophia (FV) (new)

Sophia (FV) Yay, glad you liked it. LOL :)

Catherine Me too. :) I really liked the heroine.

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Catherine -- does this make you want to read the previous books in the series?

Catherine Thanks, Tammy. Yes it does. I plan to get my hands on them soon and see if they are just as fun.

message 9: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda This sounds great. I put it on my TBR list, it is officially #567...yes, I have a problem :)

Catherine Amanda wrote: "This sounds great. I put it on my TBR list, it is officially #567...yes, I have a problem :)"

Oh my gosh! LOL. I've seen worse, but it's still a big list. ;)

Catherine Thanks, Mia. :)

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review!! Do these books have to be read in order? (or would it be easier if they were?)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "Awesome review!! Do these books have to be read in order? (or would it be easier if they were?)"

This is the only one that I've read in the series (although I plan to backtrack) so I'd say they're pretty standalone.

Greta is Erikasbuddy sweet!!

message 15: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana Wonderful review, Catherine! Hadn't heard about this book or this author and am really looking forward to reading it.

Catherine Thanks, Juliana. I hope you enjoy it. I got the second book, Desire Me, and hope I enjoy it just as much.