Jessica's Reviews > The Field Guide

The Field Guide by Holly Black

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit

Ha ha. Don't hate me for liking this "tween book". I admit, I had seen the movie, and I normal refuse to watch the movie before I've read the book, or read the book after I've accidentally seen the movie first (I had a bad experience with Ella Enchanted) but each book in this series has such a delightfully interesting cover, I had to read it. I don't know if this would count as a graphic novel (is that just a novel with pictures? Or does it have to look like an anime cartoon in book form?) but I would have to say, the pictures make the book. I loved the world it sucked me into. It was definitely a page-turner. I would recommend this for any kid who likes adventure, magic, ogres, fairies and other nether-worldly creatures. I think it would be an especially helpful book for helping a reluctant reader get interested. And the best part is, they won't have to stop after the first one, because there's more! Gotta love a series! (Unless you are supposed to read a lot of books in a semester and don't have time to finish the series... ) It reminded me of the Edge Chronicles (were they illustrated by the same person?) But somehow the characters seemed a lot more real and relatable to me. And how could you not love a story with a dumbwaiter, a hidden room in a creepy old house, and fairies?!?!
Warning- Series can be addictive. :) Also, I suppose there could be some gruesome and/or scary parts with the antagonists, but all in all, it stands up to it's child-friendly Tween status. Now I'm going to go try really hard to forget this series and books like it so I can branch out more.... wish me luck. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field Guide.