KC McCauley's Reviews > God Is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself

God Is the Gospel by John Piper

2044690
Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: christian-living, theology
Read in July, 2011

"The point of this book is that the Christian gospel is not merely that Jesus died and rose again; and not merely that these events appease God's wrath, forgive sin, and justify sinners; and not merely that this redemption gets us out of hell and into heaven; but that they bring us to the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ as our supreme, all-satisfying, and everlasting treasure" (167).

This has probably been one of the most influential books I have read on the gospel. With the gospel, we often focus on the gifts (which are glorious!), but forget about the gift-giver, God! That's why "God is the gospel."

What is so good about the "Good News"? God is.

Piper writes, "Unless the gospel events of Good Friday and Easter and the gospel promises of justification and eternal life lead you to behold and embrace God himself as your highest joy, you have not embraced the gospel of God. You have embraced some of his gifts. You have rejoiced over some of his rewards. You have marveled at some of his miracles. But you have not yet been awakened to why the gifts, the rewards, and the miracles have come. They have come for one great reason: that you might behold forever the glory of God in Christ, and by beholding become the kind of person who delights in God above all things, and by delighting display his supreme beauty and worth with ever-increasing brightness and bliss forever" (38).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is the Gospel.

07/19/2011 page 160